[nfb-talk] a sincere appology, and a possible discrimination case.

Michael Capelle mcapelle at charter.net
Sun Aug 17 17:42:20 UTC 2014

Hello NFB!
I am coming to you to first of all, appologize for my bitterness.  For those
who know me, I was very bitter about the NFB and its practices.  After this
weekend, and my experience with another organization, I realize, that nfb is
where I belong.
Please see the following incident that did happen to me this past week.

> Hello all.
> I would like to discuss an incident which occured this past wednesday.
> I called a local grocery store, crossroads county market at or about 3:00
> A.M. I spoke to a gentleman, curtus, and asked if I could obtain shoppers
> assistance in an hour, as I am totally blind, and just needed a few items.
> He said that he would assist me, and to come on in.  I called metro cab,
> and was transported to the store.  When I arived, curtus was at the
> counter, and stated to the manager, ryan, that I was here, and he was
> going to help me shop.  Ryan immediately stopped him, and told him that I
> needed to bring in an assistant.  I immediately told him, that I don't
> just have assistance, and that they had helped me shop in the past.  He
> said yes we do have people that help us, and that if i can't bring in an
> assistant to arange one for later in the day.  I told him impossible, and
> he stated that he has handicapped friends who bring in assistance all the
> time.   I told him, that I am not his handicapped friends, and restated
> that they have helped me in the past, again, he said, his manager, ryan
> aiers told him that they are not to help us, and that we needed
> assistance.  I was outraged, and proceeded to call the Wausau police
> department.  After officers arived, and spoke to ryan, he told them that
> they are understaffed, and they again can not help me.
> The officers were very kind, and offered me a ride home.  Ryan told the
> officers that I was still allowed in the store, as long as I brought an
> assistant.
> Under the ADA, I believe there are clauses that protect our rights, and
> outline certain things a store must provide to blind persons?
> Do I have a case in regards to discrimination?
> Thanks.
> Mike.
After posting this to the ACB lists, a lot of people supported my side,
while the majority said I deserved it, that I should of prepared better, a
lot of people over there were just very rude, and really offended me.
I felt they just stood on the side-lines, I know the NFB stands up for what
we believe, and that is what I am looking for in an organized movement.
Thanks,
Mike.