[nfb-talk] Thoughts on Daredevil

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 12:04:52 UTC 2015

Fellow Federationists:

As you are likely aware, the blind comic book character Daredevil has returned to the pop culture scene, this time as the subject of a TV mini-series available to Netflix subscribers. Daredevil has already caused some controversy among the blind since its launch on Netflix due to the lack of audio description available for the series—a series which, ironically, features a blind character as its hero. Netflix has now resolved this issue and added audio description to its soundtrack for Daredevil.

Since then, the show doesn't seem to be talked about much in our community. By contrast it seems to be gaining a couple popularity among the sighted public with which I come in contact, many of whose members have been curious about my thoughts on the series as a blind person. I am not subscribed to Netflix and therefore have not had the chance to watch this show for myself. So I would be interested to hear from those who have watched it. In what light do you think Daredevil portrays us, and what image do you think sighted viewers will get of the blind from this show? If you think this is a show which perpetuates misconceptions about the blind, how do you think the creators should alter the plot in order to portray a more realistic image of a blind person? Though I understand that Daredevil is in his superhero state a fictional character with superhuman qualities, I also understand that there are many instances throughout the show in which he is a "normal" blind person. I hope the blind haven't again been disappointed by our portrayal in these scenes. I look forward to reading your comments.

Chris Nusbaum