[nfb-talk] Climate

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Thu Jun 18 01:38:46 UTC 2015

> So what are you going to do about it? The problem I have with this
> attitude is that it is so often used as an excuse to not try. The
> truth is that progress is being made. Get off your butts and get to
> work. Pass a resolution demanding accessible medical devices and then
> move heaven and earth to get the law passed.  And if you fail, try
> again only try harder. And if you fail again, try harder still!
>
> This is how the world is changed. It's not changed by sitting around
> and talking about how hard it is to change the world.

f'in eh!  I helped start the International Association of Visually
Impaired Technologists and I get this same attitude all the time. We
have all these problems and nobody is willing to get off their asses to
try to get them fixed. Whel how the f**k do you think the ADA got
passed? How the f**k do you think the 21VACC got passed?  A lot of
people worked very hard to get those things done.  Get off your ass and
get to wor, dammit!

Who are we? Sometimes I really wonder. Are we strong and independent?
Are we tough? I think we're a bunch of wimps who like to congratulate
each other on how strong we are.

> On 06/17/2015 07:34 PM, Larry Wayland via nfb-talk wrote:
>> Yes we have those laws,  and yet almost all TV systems are still not
>> accessible. Blind people are still having trouble with accessibility  in
>> schools and with their jobs. I agree that the political climate is not good
>> for passing good solid laws at this time and I think it will be a while
>> before we see any serious improvement.
>> Larry

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfb-talk_nfbnet.org/kenneth.chrane%4
>>> 0veriz