[nfb-talk] TEACH Act

Aleeha Dudley blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Mon May 4 13:56:02 UTC 2015

TEACH: Technology, Education accessibility in college and higher education, is not new law, as you have stated. This act proposes the creation of a task force for creating guidelines for the implementation of accessible technology. Current legislation states that educational institutions must provide accessible technology to students, but it gives no clear solution on ow to do so. The teach act creates these guidelines. Any institution that complies fully with these guidelines (which are voluntary), will be given a safe harbor from litigation. They can choose to provide accommodations in a different manner, but are subject to litigation if their methods do not comply with legislation, as has always been the case. The NFB is currently working with the American Council on Education (ACE), a higher education group, to modify the act slightly so that both parties can agree on what it does. After successful completion of these negotiations, the bill will drop. I hope this answers your questions.

Aleeha Dudley and Seeing Eye Dog Dallas
Vice President, Ohio Association of Guide Dog Users
Vice President, Ohio Association of Blind Students
Both proud divisions of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
Email: blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com <mailto:blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com>
Phone: 937-733-0525
“The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse’s ears.” - Arabian proverb