[nfb-talk] Having Sleepovers with sighted friends

Judy Jones Judy.Jones at icbvi.idaho.gov
Mon Feb 27 15:59:55 UTC 2017

I will add here, though, that all families are different.  Some are not as open.  My husband's parents, for instance, although welcoming, were more formal than our household.  My husband remembers having friends over, but more of a formal situation, not as informal as ours seemed to be.

I also remember my sighted sister having friends and parties that way.

The grand-slam slumberparty happened for her when she asked mom if the girls in the church youth group could stay the night, mom said yes.

Unknown to mom, people invited their friends, and they ended up with 50 girls.  I was only 8 at the time, and mom and dad had me sleep at a neighbor's house, they needed the room.  They say it was wall-to-wall girls with their sleeping bags, and the pile of stuffed toys and coats almost reached the ceiling in my sister's bedroom, according to mom.

The next morning, the youth leader appeared, and the girls got out the vacuum, mop, duster, cleaned the kitchen, and by the time they all left, mom had a clean house.

This epic slumber party was talked about for years after, and my parents were very good sports.

Judy