[nfb-talk] Wanting to See

Jen spiderweb1 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 6 01:30:05 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

As I posted on my "driverless cars" thread, I'm totally blind from birth.

I have always been interested in visual things. They include

* pictures, especially pictures of pictures
* colors
* the sky
* videos
* light and the various ways it can be manipulated, like with shadows and
optical illusions
* rainbows

... and so many others.

Now here's my question. I wish I could see sometimes. Is this normal for a
blind person? I'm not consumed by these feelings. I don't feel sorry for
myself for being blind, and I have incorporated alternative techniques into
my life. So personally, I consider myself as a well-adjusted blind person.
At the same time though, I wouldn't want my sight back because, since I've
never had it, everything would be too much clutter for me. Also, I have my
own pictures of visual things in my mind's eye, and I wouldn't want to ruin
them.

My family and friends, who are sighted, tell me it is normal to have these
feelings. But it would be great to get some feedback from my fellow
Federationists.

Thanks!