[nfb-talk] Wanting to See

John Heim john at johnheim.com
Fri Jan 6 14:18:10 UTC 2017

There may be people who were blind from birth who honestly mean it when
they say they don't want to see. But human beings aren't built to do
without sight. It takes an enormous amount of compensating to do without
it. There are times when you come out ahead though. I honestly think
rock climbing is a better experience if you are blind, not just
blindfolded, than it is if you can see.

When I'm rock climbing, I'm using my blind sense of space to it's
fullest. You know what I mean by blind sense of space? Even sighted
people have a 3 dimensional map of the world in their heads. That's why
they can reach out and shut off the alarm clock in the morning without
turning on the light. But most blind people develop this 3D map to an
extent that sighted people do not. Rock climbing is like doing a
verticle obstacle course. You're building this map of the obstacle
course in your mind and pushing yourself to the physical limit at the
same time. And you're probably smelling the rock, hearing the call of a
hawk on the wind, and feeling every little cleft in the rock. It is an
awesome experience.