[nfb-talk] Wanting to See

kaye zimpher kaye.j.zimpher at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 00:43:46 UTC 2017

First I want to say, that having read the original post, I am wondering how
we got from "are feelings normal" to "we are all defective morons." Well,
John didn't say moron, that was a joke, but that is just to say it has
stretched the topic a bit. But enough of that, now on to my response to Jen.
Personally, I too have been blind from birth. I actually can't remember a
time that I ever wanted to see. There was a time, when I was much younger
that I did not accept myself, or my place in life, but as I got older, and
realized a few things, I have grown to love my life as a blind person.
I have found that many of the things that people "wish they could see," I
already have a basis for in my mind, and like you, I don't want to ruin
that. I am a perfectly capable person, and I would not want, at the age of
46, to take the time to truly relearn life. Also, and here's where many may
disagree, I am a believer in God, and I truly believe that He made me this
way for his reasons. It is upon me to accept those reasons and live the life
He asks of me.
I've been asked before if I feel that God will heel me. I usually say that
if he sees the need, he definitely has the power, but I believe this is
exactly who he wants me to be. Why would I challenge that?
When it comes to conveniences, I feel that much of what a sighted person
does, I also do. Have you ever lived in New York? Nobody there drives, they
all take the subway or cab, or now Uber, so how is that different from me? I
watch TV, I listen to books, and while many sighted folks don't listen to
audio books, some do. I cook, clean, work, complain about my relationship,
my job and the state of the world, and I crave snack foods when I'm dieting.
*smile* So having said all this, I find my life to basically be the same as
everyone else's.
As for whether or not your feelings are normal. They are your feelings, so
they are your normal. Only you can feel the way you do, and noone can take
it away or tell you not to. It is all in how you deal with those feelings
that matters.
Sorry for the long post. Everyone have a great weekend.
Kaye in Jacksonville Florida, where it is *not* snowing!