[nfb-talk] Honeywell Pro 6000 Thermostat with iPhone?

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Fri Jul 7 13:59:11 UTC 2017

Hello Ellen,

I'm glad you've mentioned this thermostat because it reminds me to discuss
my experience for others to consider.

I bought a talking thermostat and was assured by the seller that it met all
the criteria to work with my dual-fuel, single unit heating and air
conditioning unit.
My air-conditioning service guy is very experienced in his profession and
used to sell the first talking thermostats and adjust them using a computer
to work with units when this stuff was all new. When he attempted to install
my talking thermostat he was unable to do so, saying that my thermostat was
one port short of what the air conditioning unit needed to work properly as
a dual-fuel heating and air unit.
He said that that the air conditioning unit manufacturers used to produce an
alternative circuit board which he could get and install for me to make the
thermostat work and he'd check for me.
Time dragged on as he attempted to get the board from the company and,
finally, they were able to tell him that they no longer manufactured it and
I couldn't buy one. This meant that my thermostat is unusable with my
current unit. It is not an old unit, but it is incompatible with the talking
thermostats and now, too much time has passed for me to return the talking
thermostat and get a refund. It is extremely disappointing , frustrating
and, as it's turned out, very expensive.

    So, Michael, if you have a dual-fuel heat and air unit, I would be
extremely careful before investing in a talking thermostat.
The Honeywell unit you quote does work with my dual-fuel unit.
Obviously, the talking thermostat is a preferable alternative and I really
wish that it would work for me. But, since it doesn't work for my unit, then
the Honeywell is a life-saver.
Warmly,
Heather