[nfb-talk] Trumpcare

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Fri Jul 14 13:52:27 UTC 2017

 From Paul Krugman's column in the New York Times today:
"Conservative ideology always denied the proposition that people are
entitled to health care; the Republican elite considered and still
considers people on Medicaid, in particular, “takers” who are
effectively stealing from the deserving rich."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/13/opinion/trumpcare-mitch-mcconnell-taxes.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Fpaul-krugman&action=click&contentCollection=opinion&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection#continues-post-newsletter

The current version of the Republican health care bill has the change my
Senator, Ron Johnson, and Senator Ted Cruz demanded -- it allows
companies to charge extra or deny coverage to people with pre-existing
conditions.  What kind of people could look at a bill that takes health
care away from 20+ million people and decide that their main problem
with it is that it requires insurance companies to accept people with
pre-existing conditions?

Krugman is absolutely right. This has next to nothing to do with the
alledged flaws in Obamacare. Various versions of the Republican health
care bills have taken coverage away from 20 million to 24 million
people. With their darwinistic view of the world, they think that's a
good thing. The issue here really is whether we as a country are better
off making sure people get health care or not. But you can't make this a
stronger nation by taking health care away from 20+ million people.

Note: I get health care through my work. I am not personally a Medicaid
recipient. I would actually benefit financially from the Republican
health care bill.
--
John Heim
john at johnheim.com
* The Electoral College is like giving one team 6 points for a touchdown
and the other team 4. *