[nfb-talk] {Spam?} My review of the Orcam glasses

robynwallen at juno.com robynwallen at juno.com
Wed Mar 1 04:34:35 UTC 2017

I just got my Orcam glasses and wanted to share the good and the bad and the ugly.  Overall they are awesome for many things.  However like all OCRs nothing is perfect.  The hands free aspect is a big one for me because I hate carrying extra things around.  Most of you may know what Orcam is but for those who do not its a small camera mounted to a pair of glasses and attached to a small computer smaller than your cell phone.   The camera weighs less than an ounce and the base unit is about 5.5 ounces.  It comes with a belt clip which for me was the biggest challenge.  I had to find a way to use it that did not drive me crazy because not only am I not a belt wearer most of the time but I hate extra baggage hanging off my waste.  I was however able to learn a way to attach it I can live with.  The camera is an OCR reader similar to the KNFB reader but some people have said its slightly better.  I know it does very well with printed text that has background pictures.  It does not recognize all words all the time but then I have not found any OCR that does and it cannot read script or handwriting.  I got the MyEye which also have face recognition which is a huge plus when you are looking for someone in a big crowd.  You record the persons face and then attach a voice tag.  It can also store up to 150 products.  The cost is $3,500 for the MyEye and $2,500 for the MyReader which does not include face or product recognition.   I have found it particularly useful for signs in stores and other places.  You can either point or you can click a trigger button and it will read any print in front of it.  Its also great for reading menus provided you have enough light and they are not written in script or other fancy writing.  I like this because most of the time if a restaurant has a braille or large print menu its out of date or the prices are wrong.    The things I wish it did better are not miss a few of the obvious words, and be able to read menus in food courts other fast food places.  It will read across and not down columns which is a problem and sadly many of these menus contain a lot of pictures now which makes it that much harder.  I would also like them to go back to the original speaker which was a jaw bone device that used that technology rather then the current speaker that points to your ear.  You can however turn the volume pretty low so the entire world does not know what you are reading.  I also wish it did not get hot or drain the battery so quickly.   Anyway thought I would share. Robyn