[nfb-talk] Filling forms and stubborn receptionists

Tony Malykh anton.malykh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 02:47:58 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I am relatively new to the world of visual impairment and I'm still
trying to learn how to do things without my eyesight. So I am asking
for your advice: what would you do if you are asked to fill out a form
and they are not willing to help you?

Let's not talk about sighted assistants here; I have asked about
assistants in another thread and that's a separate topic. Here I'm
wondering about your strategy when a sighted assistant is not
available or somehow is not an option.

People in general are helpful. In my experience in about 80% of the
cases people are willing to help. But here I am talking about the
remaining 20% of the cases. For example, if you come in to see a
doctor and the receptionist tells you
"Um, you have to fill out forms X,Y and Z. And yeah, No,  I cannot
help you, I'm too busy. And the nurses cannot help you either. And you
should've thought about that and asked a friend or someone else to
fill out the forms."

Another example from my own experience is dealing with large insurance
company. I tried to apply for insurance and they mailed me an extra
form to fill out. I have spent the following 2 months calling
different departments of that insurance company and none of them being
willing to help me. And the large companies have one extra trick to
waste your time: they tell you something like:
"Oh, we don't help people with their forms, but call number X, they
will help you."
ANd guess what happens when you call number X? They tell you to call
number Y. And so on ad infinitum.

So what is the best way of dealing with the stubborn receptionists and
stubborn clerks I large companies? What's the best strategy to push
them to stop playing cards on their computer for 5 minutes and help
you to fill out the form?

Thanks
Tony