[nfb-talk] Who is smarter, a tree or a Libertarian?

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Mon Jul 23 18:28:52 UTC 2018

I was listening to something over the weekend, I think it was Discover
magazine, and they interviewed the German guy who wrote "The Secret Life
Of Trees". In there he tells the story of a beech tree that was cut down
400 to 500 years ago but the stump is still alive. The other beech trees
nearby are keeping it alive. Apparently, trees have a sort of welfare
system.

It made me think of the social-darwinism supported by many Libertarians.
Poor Charles Darwin, he'd never approve of this philosophy. Ayn Rand
more like it. It should be called social-randism. Unfortunately, we are
kind of stuck with the term.

It's unfortunate that libertarian-types, many of whom consider
themselves Christians, have embraced the philosophy of Ayn Rand instead
of Jesus. A society does not make itself stronger by having it be every
man for himself. Laws like the ADA and the 21CCVAA do not just  help
disabled people. They make us a better, stronger society over all. Even
trees understand that they are stronger when they support each other.
You might even say that supporters of social-darwinism are dumber than a
stump.

Jack Heim, john at johnheim.com
"In my position, it is somewhat important that I not say any foolish
things."
  -- Abraham Lincoln