[nfb-talk] GE Appliances And The Amazon Echo

Tony Malykh anton.malykh at gmail.com
Tue May 15 01:02:18 UTC 2018

We have a GE oven/range with this functionality. Only the oven can be
controlled from Alexa, not the burners. You can say something like:

Alexa, ask Geneva to bake at 450 degrees for 55 minutes

You need to press a physical button on the range every time before you
give a command, that's pretty annoying, but I think it makes their
lawyers happy. Otherwise, it is pretty convenient.

I've also heard GE has wifi-enabled microwaves, but I never tried them.
Another company that makes wifi-enabled appliances is Whirlpool - they
also make ranges and microwaves. I've also heard of wi-fi enabled
washers and dryers, but from what I remember they could only send you a
notification when the cycle is done - I thought that's not very useful.

Tony