[NFB-Talk] Reversing the Role of blind and Sighted family members

Kaye Baker kaye.j.zimpher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 18:46:11 UTC 2019

Generally, asking sighted people who have no experience with blindness to
"pretend" or "play a role" of being blind does not work. A sighted person
just becomes more frightened, and feels a greater sense of pity when they
are put in that situation. We who have been either blind all of our lives,
or have learned over time to adapt do not feel those same feelings of fear
and pity for ourselves, or at least, we shouldn't.
The best way to deal with frustrating family, is to stand strong, and
remember that it is ok to disagree with them. They are not always right, but
their hearts are usually in the right place. Sometimes we know our abilities
when our own families do not. It is ok to let them know that they are wrong,
and it is ok to prove the wrong. Sometimes this causes a rif between the
blind person and their family, but in most cases, it does not.
Of course, this is one person's opinion and should be treated as such.