[NFB-Talk] NAGDU, and Guide Dogs, and flying, oh my! -- Follow-up regarding the form from the Department of Transportation

Raul A. Gallegos (NFB) rgallegos at nagdu.org
Mon Dec 21 18:10:09 UTC 2020

Hello everyone, thanks to those of you who submitted feedback regarding
the accessibility and usability of the two PDF forms from the Department
of Transportation.

I have collected everyone's comments and created a summary of the
testing results and this will help us with communicating our feelings
with the Department of Transportation regarding this form as it relates
to flying with our guide dogs.

So this leads to what our feelings are. When I say, "our", I am
referring to the general feelings of the National Association of Guide
Dog Users Board of Directors along with comments from many of our
membership.

In short, we are not okay with these forms. Not only do we feel that
having to fill out these forms goes against the general philosophy of
the National Federation of the Blind, but they also cause an extra
burden for blind people that we don't agree with. Not all blind people
have the necessary skill sets and equipment to independently fill out
these forms, and not all blind people feel comfortable with the kind of
information that is requested.

Right now I do not have further information as to how we are going to
proceed, but I promise to communicate our progress as I am able. As
always, you can always reach out to me by phone or email if you need to
discuss this. You can also email the NAGDU board of directors in case
someone other than me needs to respond. My address is either
president at nagdu.org or rgallegos at nagdu.org. The board address is
board at nagdu.org.

Thanks everyone.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
President: National Association of Guide Dog Users
832.554.7285  |  RGallegos at nagdu.org

"Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap." -- Dr. Kenneth Jernigan