[NFBA-Phoenix] [Nfbnet-master-list] Using NFBNET.ORG

Tanner Gers creativesuccess at cox.net
Fri Mar 10 21:07:38 UTC 2017

Hi everyone
Just wanted to forward this along in case it is happening to anyone on our list. It's a message I got today from the man with the plan behind every single email list within the NFB

At least once a day, I get a message from someone saying, "I didn't ask to be unsubscribed from list X Y Z." "Why am I getting this message asking me to confirm my unsubscription." Some people even think they did something wrong, or that I am after them.  None of this is true.

As you may know, each message from a NFBNET.ORG list contains a "personal Options" link for you. If you go to this link, there are options to change your settings for that list, unsubscribe from that list, etc. What happens as people use a list is that they reply to a message. Their reply text is put at the top, and a footer, containing their Personal Options link, and other information is placed at the bottom. Consequently you can get long "reply chains" with many messages and footers in them. This can also make it difficult for you to find your Personal Options link. Sometimes people click on the wrong link, and ask to be unsubscribed, thinking they hit their personal link when they really used someone elses.

First, if you get an unsubscribe confirmation message, just ignore it. It expires after a few days, if you don't reply to it. Secondly, you can help the operation of all lists by editing your reply. It is fine to reply to messages, and put your text at the top, however, you should leave just enough text, below your message to give someone enough context to understand the message thread. You should trim off all the junk at the bottom. This will cut down on the number of false unsubscribe messages.  It will also make digests much easier to read.

Two things to remember when looking for your Personal Options link. First, it will be in the last footer in a reply chain, and secondly, it will contain your e-mail address as a part of the link. Below is one of mine, I pulled from a message. My e-mail address is dandrews at visi.com and you can see it as a part of the link. That is the one I would use.

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbcs_nfbnet.org/dandrews%40visi.com

So, please remember, when you reply to a message, edit or trim off all the junk at the bottom. This will help you and your fellow list users.

David Andrews, List Owner