[NFBAZ-EastValleyChapter] Accessible Voting Request Information With Example Letter

Megan Homrighausen megsvending at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 00:32:47 UTC 2020

Dear East Valley,

We spoke about accessible voting at our meeting. Here is information with example letter as promised to try to request your accessible ballot. We are asking that all members request an accessible ballot to see how the county will respond.

Voter Registration and Early Voting

Adrian Fontes, Maricopa County Recorder

111 South 3rd Avenue, #103

Phoenix, Arizona 85003

Phone - 602-506-1511

Fax - 602-506-5112

TDD - 602-506-2348

Email - voterinfo at risc.maricopa.gov (link sends e-mail)
Website http://recorder.maricopa.gov/ (link is external)

Election and Voting Location Information

Rey Valenzuela, Maricopa County Director of Election Services and Early Voting

510 S. Third Avenue

Phoenix, Arizona 85003

Phone - 602-506-1511

Fax - 602-506-5112

TDD - 602-506-2348

Email - voterinfo at risc.maricopa.gov (link sends e-mail)
Website http://recorder.maricopa.gov/elections/(link is external)

Scott Jarett, Maricopa County Director of Election Day and Emergency Voting

510 S. Third Avenue

Phoenix, Arizona 85003

Phone - 602-506-1511

Fax - 602-506-5112

TDD - 602-506-2348

Email - voterinfo at risc.maricopa.gov (link sends e-mail)
Website http://recorder.maricopa.gov/elections/(link is external)

Vote by Mail Request

Email a photo or scan of your completed request or complete your request online.
Email: evreq at risc.maricopa.gov(link sends e-mail)
Website: request.maricopa.vote (link is external)

(Example letter to request an accessable Ballot)

Written by Vicky Hodges:

(Insert sent date here)

To Whom It May Concern:

I am requesting that an accessible, electronic absentee ballot, be provided to me for the General Election, scheduled Tuesday, November 03, 2020.  I value my right and responsibility to vote in federal, state, and local elections, as a citizen of the United States, and have been proud to exercise this privilege, for several years.  However, the current health risk, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, has increased my concern regarding the safety of voting in person at the polls.

Currently, my options to vote in the November General Election include:

Official, designated polling place,

Print, paper Vote-by-mail Ballot, or

Braille, Vote-by-mail Ballot.

None of these means provide my right to a secret, secure, and anonymous ballot-marking method.  They all have distinguishing features that identify my ballot as having been voted by a person with a disability.

Official, designated polling place - on a machine that has special software, allowing access by people with disabilities to independently mark their ballot.  The ballot printout is printed only on one side of the page, and a code identifies the ballot as having been cast with Access Technology software; while, all other ballots are printed on both sides of the page, with no affixed code.  This option does not afford me a secret, secure, and anonymous ballot.

Print, paper Vote-by-mail Ballot - whereby, the voter with a print or some other disability has to completely rely on someone else to mark the ballot, mailed to their residence, as directed, not knowing whether or not their choice has been marked correctly .  This option does not afford me a secret, secure, and anonymous ballot.

Braille, Vote-by-mail Ballot - allows me (and other blind voters) to independently mark the ballot, mailed to my residence, with little or no assistance from another person.  However, the format of the Braille Ballot is rarely conducive for a clearly marked ballot, and immediately identifies me as a disabled voter.  This option does not afford me a secret, secure, and anonymous ballot.

Thank you for your prompt, professional attention to my request.

Respectfully,

(Your Full Name)

Sincerely,
Megan Homrighausen