[Nfbc-info] FW: Colorado Center Newsletter

tina thomas tinadt at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 1 17:40:17 UTC 2009

Subject: Colorado Center Newsletter

COLORADO CENTER FOR THE BLIND

2233 W. Shepperd Ave.

Littleton, CO  80120

303-778-1130   800-401-4632

ccb at cocenter.org    www. cocenter.org

March 2009 Newsletter

Take charge with confidence and self-reliance

Message from the Director

Giving Back to Others:

At the center we have developed a culture of caring and giving to others. I
believe strongly that when I give of myself I receive so much more in return
than I could ever imagine.  At the beginning of the month, we were excited
to host twelve students from Rice University who worked so hard to get to
Denver in order to volunteer with us for three days.  These students were
filled with energy and eagerness to learn and to work hard.  They had an
opportunity to take classes under sleepshades and to learn a lot about what
it is like to be blind.  They worked with us to organize our apartment
inventory, paint and clean.  They attended a student's monster route party
and became part of us in a very short time.  We were all pumped up by this
experience.  The students left with a positive perspective on blindness.
They left us with renewed energy and a spirit of giving back to others
everyday. Thank you so much to the Rice University students!

Program Notes

The Independence Training Program:

This month our students completed their skiing at Eldora.  Each student had
the choice to go downhill skiing, alpine (cross country) or snow boarding.
Everyone enjoyed the beautiful mountains this winter as the snow was powdery
and the skies were bright blue.  The ski guides loved the enthusiasm of us
all.  Our students pushed themselves, and loved every minute of skiing this
year.  Thank you to the staff of Eldora (ESRP).

Blind Readers Are Leaders Day:

On a very snowy March 26th, the staff and students at the Colorado Center
had the honor to be part of this historic.  We traveled down to the Colorado
capitol and watched the Senate and House pass a resolution which discussed
the importance of Braille for blind people.  This experience was
exhilarating for all of us!  We saw our state government in action.  We all
love working together to insure that we do have equal opportunities.  We
traveled back from the capitol in a blizzard.  This, too, did not stop our
students from throwing snow balls and having a great time.

Seniors Do It All:

Not only do our seniors cook delicious food, learn Braille and travel
independently, they know that they can just have fun.  So, on March 10th
everyone went bowling.  They made strikes and spares and maybe a couple of
gutter balls but mostly they realized that blind people can do
whatever they want to do.

Every day is an exciting day with our senior program.  In March we hosted
several professionals who wanted to learn more about working with blind
individuals.  They learned all about resources that are available met many
blind people but mostly they enjoyed their experiences working under
sleepshades.  They learned how to use a long white cane and how to locate
things around them.  The key to our success when we run seminars for
professionals is that they learn that being blind is not a tragedy.
They will encourage blind people that they work with and will give them the
power that they need to realize that their lives are not over.  We will look
forward to providing even more seminar trainings for professionals.

Senior support groups are available each month.  For more information please
call Duncan Larsen at 303-778-1130 extension 226.

Youth Programs:

Brent Batron is working with us as our full time youth services program.
He is excited to begin this venture and has a wealth of ideas and energy.
At this writing our high school and college programs are full for the
summer.  We will be ready to have one of our best summers ever.

We are still taking referrals for our elementary program.  This is a two
week day program for students who live in the Denver metro area.  There is
no cost for this program though we will be pleased to except donations.

Upcoming Events:

Littleton Historical Museum in April

Carson Nature Center in May

Rock Climbing May

Canoeing in May

Braille Readers are Leaders reception in May

"Seniors in Charge" senior intensive training May 26-30

To refer someone who is interested in training please call Robert Dyson at
303-778-1130 extension 249.

Carol Elzi

Administrative Coordinator

Colorado Center for the Blind