[Nfbc-info] published letter

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 21 01:16:41 UTC 2010

Thought you would be interested in this exchange of letters to the editor in the Fresno Bee.
Chuck
Blind can serve on juries
Posted at 12:06 AM on Friday, Aug. 20, 2010I am greatly offended by the Aug. 15 letter written by Sandy Johnson bemoaning the fact that her 92-year-old mother, who is legally blind, was called for jury duty. As a blind paralegal, I review and evaluate critical evidence every day.

In California, and throughout the country, there are blind people who are jurors, lawyers and judges who effectively carry out these duties on a daily basis, and who are proud to serve in these capacities.

While provisions for hardship exist for people to be excused from jury duty, fortunately the court is aware of the provisions set forth in California Code of Civil Procedure Section 203(a)6 and properly carries out their duty to ensure that the right to serve as a juror is granted to all eligible Fresno County residents.

Rather than relying on negative stereotypes of the blind, perhaps Ms. Johnson could help her mother and other blind people by becoming familiar with the positive achievements and undertakings of the blind by familiarizing herself with organizations such as the National Federation of the Blind.

Charles L. Krugman

Fresno

Clueless Superior Court
Posted at 12:36 AM on Sunday, Aug. 15, 2010Well, once again, the Superior Court of Fresno County has summoned my nearly 92-year-old mother to jury duty. This is the second summons she has received in the past six months. In addition to being elderly, and mom would not be insulted that I used this term, she is legally blind and has been for nearly 20 years.

The summons notice gives various reasons to claim you are ineligible, but none of them fit her situation. If you are curious, you can check out reasons you are ineligible on their website. So, once again, I have written to the Superior Court to explain the circumstances.

I had hoped that my first letter would take care of it, but apparently that is not the case.

I guess we just have to assume that the prospective jury pool in Fresno is just so small that they need to select anyone who stands upright. No matter that the juror cannot read or view any evidence. Of course, she could just ignore the summons, not appear and then wait for a sheriff to show up and arrest her. Won't he be surprised! If that is the case, I will be sure to have the local TV stations filming the arresting officer. News at 11!

Sandy Johnson

Coarsegold