[Nfbc-info] meat the blind month

Ken Volonte kenvolonte at comcast.net
Mon Oct 18 11:26:08 UTC 2010

Hi Listers.
The San Joaquin Chapter, NFBC was well represented this month.  Jennifer
Boylan participated in a couple of health fairs and got a White Cane Safety
Day proclamation from City Hall.  Last night, my wife Velvet and I attended
a fund raising reception for our congressman, Jerry McNernie, where we got
to talk to him, actually to the whole reception about the problems of
accessibility for the blind.  The congressman has already cast a yes vote
for the Electronic Accessibility Act, and is waiting to see legislation
dealing with appliances.

    This is how we made sure that people met the blind, by showing up and
participating.  I didn't know that there would be an opportunity to address
the public at large during this reception, but I was there and I knew what I
wanted to talk to the congressman about.  So show up. Take an active part in
your town's affairs.  Everybody in town knows who I am, how I think and
where I live.

    Once in a doctor's office, Velvet and I were asked about our passion for
politics.  When we see a problem, we're not quiet about it.  With me, it's
problems relating to blindness.  With Velvet, it's problems with
inaccessible buildings.  To some extent, our concerns are dictated by our
bodies, but we are patiently persistent, and over time, things get better.
In no small part, my political sense has been engendered by my membership in
the NFBC.  As I've said before about our chapter, we're small, but we're
mighty.