[Nfbc-info] Jobsite Conversation Series

Richard Russo rrusso at lighthouse-sf.org
Thu Aug 11 21:19:46 UTC 2011

Hello Jobseekers,

I am happy to announce the LightHouse's new Jobsite Conversation Series.
Since June, we've been providing blind or visually impaired jobseekers
the real-world opportunity to meet and learn from some of the Bay Area's
most successful blind professionals.

Our goal is to show Bay Area jobseekers how important ambition and
dedication are to any successful employee-and more so for blind ones.

Each week we will be coordinating a group of 15 to 20 individuals to
meet with their employed counterparts working in the Bay Area's leading
businesses and institutions.  Visits will mostly be held on Wednesdays,
and we are planning on scheduling visits throughout the remainder of the
year.

Our next jobsite excursion will take place on Wednesday, August 17th.
We will be visiting Patricia Leetz, who currently works as a
Rehabilitation Supervisor at the Department of Rehabilitation in Blind
Field Services in Oakland.

Patricia graduated from the University of Wisconsin (Madison) with a
master's degree in rehabilitation psychology in 1991.  She worked at the
Independent Living Resource Center (ILRC) in San Francisco for five
years as a supervisor in the In-Home Support Services department (IHSS)
with a primary emphasis on advocacy and political development.
Patricia's career then shifted after taking a job as a rehabilitation
counselor for the blind at the DOR in Berkeley for 13 years before
securing her role as a supervisor in the Oakland DOR office.

We will rendezvous at the top of the stairs/escalator leading into the
Frank H. Ogawa Plaza at the 12th St. Oakland City Center BART station at
10:30 a.m. sharp.  Please note that this staircase/escalator is the most
northwest exit from the BART station and will place you on the western
side of the 14th and Broadway intersection.  From there we will walk to
the Department of Rehabilitation, 1515 Clay St., #119.  Lunch will be
provided following our talks with Patricia and her supervisor.  We
should wrap up by 2:00 p.m.

Since we will be on a strict schedule, please give yourself enough time
to get to the BART station by 10:30 a.m.  If you find yourself running
unavoidably late, please call my cell phone at (415) 351-9534 to make
the required arrangements.

Should you arrive in Oakland early and need a cup of coffee, there is a
Tully's located just steps to the east from our meeting point (the top
of the BART stairs/escalator) at 102 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza.

Participants are encouraged to bring their cane or other mobility tool,
as this visit is part of a larger blindness training opportunity.  The
dress code is business casual.

Please RSVP by Tuesday, August 16, as space is limited.

Feel free to contact me directly with any questions or to sign up for
the visit.

This will be a wonderful opportunity for all those involved, and I am
looking forward to seeing you there.

Rich Russo

Richard Russo Community Services Program AssistantLightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired214 Van Ness AvenueSan Francisco, CA 94102Direct: (415) 694-7352Email: rrusso at lighthouse-sf.orgwww.lighthouse-sf.org

Space is still available at Enchanted Hills Camp for our Blind Kids session (3rd through 8th grade: July 18 - July 24) and Blind Teens session (9th through 12th grade: July 28 - Aug 6). Contact Rich Russo at 415-694-7352 or rrusso at lighthouse-sf.org to reserve your place.

Connect with us:
http://on.fb.me/LightHouseFb
http://twitter.com/lighthouse_sf
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=0014Ogu2wnBvl8uh2umHF9QU0OUCY7hC1NO