[Nfbc-info] California private citizens call to action for library services

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 11 19:46:43 UTC 2011

I am writing this message, as a private citizen,to everyone I know because I
am very concerned about library services in California.  I am asking that
you read the letter below and consider writing a similar one to the people
named at the top of the letter.  We all use the libraries one way or
another.  So as private citizens, we should do what we can to preserve this
fundamental free service.

The California Library Association is informing us of a major threat if the
"trigger" is pulled in California legislature.  Please go to the CLA website
and read more if my sample letter does not provide enough information.
Just a quick note to the Governor may save our library services in
California.

Regards,
Mary Willows
**********

December 10, 2011

To:  The Honorable Edmund G.  Brown, Jr.  Governor

Cc:  The Honorable Darrell Steinberg, Senate President Pro-tem

The Honorable Bob Dutton, Senate Minority Leader

The Honorable John A.  Perez, Speader of the California State Assembly

The Honorable Connie Conway, Assembly Republican Leader

From:  Mary Willows, Teacher of the Visually Impaired

California School for the Blind

500 Walnut Avenue

Fremont, CA  94536

w- (510) 794-3800

Regarding:  Library Budget for 2011-2012 threats “Trigger”.

As a patron of the Alameda County Library System and the Braille and
Talkingbook Library Service, I am very concerned about information which I
have received that suggests that our California Library Services may be
severely cut starting in January, 2012.  I am writing to erge the Governor
and state leaders to consider the impact of a severe budget cut to our
library services.  Do not use our last free access to educational materials
to balance the budget.

Consider long term affects if 15 million dollars is cut to the Braille and
Talking Book Library.  This is a federally matched program.  If we loose the
state portion, we will also loose the federal matching funds.  This would
have a devastating effect on the blind and print disabled people in
California.

Consider all of the people who utilize the library to learn to read English.
Literacy is critical for employment opportunities.

Consider the affecton cooperative loaning program.  As a resident in Alameda
County, I have access to not only my local library inventory but, all of the
books available in the countywide system .  This may no longer be available
to me for research and educational materials.

Library services is a free, fundamental service to anyone who lives, works
or owns property in California.

PLEASE DO NOT CUT LIBRARY SERVICES