[Nfbc-info] The California Compass June 2013

Amber Boggs amber at amberboggs.com
Tue Jun 4 05:28:03 UTC 2013

HI Everyone, The West Coast Chapter is proud to introduce the
California Compass. Please find  the publication attached. . I have
also included it in the body of this Email. If you require it in a
different format please let me no.  We hope you find it helpful and
enjoyable.
The California Compass
Published by the West Coast Vanguard Chapter of the NFB of California
Photo of a blue and red compass rose with a main black arrow pointing West.

Vol. 1 No. 1
Editor: Amber Boggs
June 2013
The West Coast Vanguard Chapter is proud to welcome you to the first
edition of the California Compass. This publication strives to deliver
entertaining and informative news and information that is relevant to
people with vision loss. Together we can guide the public perception
of blindness toward the true image of our full, productive lives.
Please submit your own articles for consideration. We eagerly await
your comments and suggestions.
You may reach the editor at:  compass at nfbwestcoast.org   /  818-439-7250
Table of Contents
2013 Spring Board Meeting	2
Paracord Bracelets, Dogs Collars and More!	3
A Quick Look Around: Traveling with an iPhone	4
Furry Canes Travel Well	6
Who's Watching Who? Traveling to Convention with our Children	10
Recipe: Berry Pecan Brussels	14
Describing Opportunities for Careers in Media	15
Resources in Orlando	17

2013 Spring Board Meeting By Kia Vaca  On April 6th and 7th of this
year, we, the board members of the National Federation of the Blind of
California, came together for our annual in-person board meeting. We
were also joined by chapter presidents, or their representatives, and
a few guests. The board discussed and voted on recurring items such as
financial grants to help members attend national convention, and
scholarships for blind students to be awarded at the state convention
in October. In new business, the NFBC is signed up for the
S.H.A.R.E.S. program in which a percentage of your total spending,
through select grocery stores, will be donated to the state affiliate.
Stores include Lucky Supermarkets, Food Maxx, and S-Mart Foods. Stay
tuned, more information will follow on how you can shop for your
groceries and donate to our state affiliate. In addition, each state
was asked to provide diverse and exciting items to be auctioned for
November’s Bid for Excellence. This fundraiser is an online auction to
support a variety of programs at the national level.  Similarly, Ever
Lee Hairston, our first Vice President, gave a report on the status of
our three initiatives: the Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities
Act, the Technology and Education in Colleges and Higher Education
(TEACH) Act, and the Space Available program. Due to the hard work
being done by members of our organization throughout the country, we
are continuing to gain co-sponsors for the Space Available program.
Let’s also persevere in our efforts to insure more support for the
Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act and TEACH Act. In doing
so, blind students, along with blind adults in the workplace, will be
afforded the same opportunities as their sighted counterparts. We
concluded our board meeting with members sharing their stories about
how each person came to be a part of the NFB.  Announcements &
Calendar
Photo of an unnamed monthly calendar with a pencil circling a date.

Event: National Convention Date: July 1-July 6, 2013
Location: Rosen Centre Hotel
 	   9840 International Drive,
 	   Orlando, Florida 32819
More Info: For more details, please go to:
https://nfb.org/national-convention
Event: California Caucus