[Nfbc-info] FW: [Cabs-talk] Information Needed : San Jose Vision Services

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Wed May 15 03:41:48 UTC 2013

Hi Miguel,
That doesn't sound right.
A public school can't just opt to not teach blind children or a child with
a disability. School districts, especially large one's (like San Jose
sounds like it would be) should have Dept of Special Ed.  I googled "San
Jose School District Dept of Special Ed" & if that is the actual school
district, then the webpage (www.sjusd.org/parents/special-education)
states they do serve blind kids. It lists the Director of Special Ed & her
phone number - they can make a call.
Another route to pursue is to see if perhaps one of the TVIs on this list
could post on the braille-n-teach list-serv & identify a TVI that serves
the specific school/district the family is interested in & give the family
some insight on how to proceed.
Their may have been some misinterpretation: Some schools & school
districts will partner with neighboring districts to provide resource
rooms for blind/vi kids out of convenience, but a family can insist their
child receive services in the least restrictive environment which is
likely their local school.
Best wishes,
DrV
------