[Nfbc-info] Talking thermostat?

Frida Aizenman nfbfrida at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 17:34:06 UTC 2015

Good morning.
This is Frida.
Please read this email in its entirety.
I own a VIP Talking Thermostat I bought eleven years ago. It still runs
fine.
I don't think that thermostat exists any longer, but I haven't checked
lately. It was from Cendero Groups. Michael May, was or is, the head.
In any event, here in Northern Nevada there is a new development.
You can download the mPower app from the app store. This is for both
Android and iPhones.
Then you call the electric company which serves this area. It is called
NV Energy.
They will give you for free a thermostat and you control the temperature
with your cell phone.
The trouble is, it is not accessible to the blind. You can't set up the
temperature, and you can't pay bills.
Here is an explanation of the thermostat.
https://www.nvenergy.com/home/saveenergy/rebates/mpowered/mPoweredSouth.cfm
Do to the fact that the thermostat is not accessible, conversations have
already started with NV Energy, and at our NFB, Nevada State Convention
in Las Vegas, a resolution addressing the problem was approved.
NFB OF NEVADA
RESOLUTION 2015-02

Regarding NV Energy and accessibility

Whereas, NV Energy is a leading provider of home energy services in
Nevada; and

Whereas, accessibility of NV Energy's Echofactor Thermostat has a direct
impact on the independence of blind consumers to control the climate in
their homes; and

Whereas, IOS- and Android-eMpowered apps have been tested and found
inaccessible; and,

Wheras attempts to approach NV Energy as individual customers with
accessibility concerns have been received in good faith;

Therefore, be it resolved by the National Federation of the Blind of
Nevada in Convention assembled this 1st day of November, 2015, in the
city of Las Vegas, Nevada, that the National federation of the Blind of
Nevada make a good faith effort to establish a working accessibility
partnership with NV Energy according to the national standards,
procedures, and guidelines set forth in the NFB National accessibility
partnership strategy; and

Be it further resolved that the goals of this partnership should be: to
render accessible all equipment, billing, customer service and support
systems operated by NV Energy, and also to foster good will at NV Energy
and assist the company to create a culture that fosters accessible
design going forward.