[Nfbc-info] Employment related question

Lisa Irving peacefulwoman89 at cox.net
Mon Mar 21 19:46:24 UTC 2016

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 21, 2016, at 8:50 AM, Clark, Ted A at DOT via Nfbc-info <nfbc-info at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Good morning Lisa
>
> Remember when you request a reasonable accommodation the employer does not need to give you what you are requesting. They just have to give you something that will be equally effective in helping you do your job
>
> the reasonable accommodation request is a good time for educating. Not only should you tell your manager what you are asking for, but you should explain to them how it works, and how this will assist you in doing your work.
>
> Don't overthink the process the majority of companies should be acquainted with the reasonable accommodation request and how to walk you through it

I want to be sure that I don't walk into a work environment with my hand out expecting stuff rather I want to give a helping hand to help the employer. In terms of reasonable accommodation I think sometimes the challenge is explaining what is equivalent for example providing a reader instead of providing something via computer is a reasonable accommodation however it is not necessarily the most effective reasonable accommodation what are your thoughts?

Thank you Ted and everyone who has and who is and who will help me to be the best employee and also represent the NFB and Blind individuals