[Nfbc-info] May Presidents Notebook

president at nfbcal.org president at nfbcal.org
Wed May 1 14:15:54 UTC 2019

Dear Family,

Our national convention in Las Vegas begins in just 67 days.  I'm thrilled
to announce that California is sponsoring at least 20 Californians to their
first national convention through our state grant program.  Congratulations
to the grantees.  IN addition to our state grants, I enjoyed  writing many
letters of support on behalf of individuals applying for assistance through
the Kenneth Jernigan Fund and the national scholarship program.  Results for
those applications will be announced this month.  Attending your first
national convention is often a life-changing experience.  Connecting people
with this opportunity is a high priority for the National Federation of the
Blind of California and your board of directors.

If you haven't booked your hotel yet, then please do so soon.  Consider
attending with roommates.  It is a great way to experience the national
convention with a friend and stay on budget.  Many local chapters can help
pair roommates and offer travel and other financial resources to members .

Keep up the good work in Congress.  Please take just five minutes to call
202-224-3121 and ask your representative and senators to co-sponsor the
Transformation to Competitive Employment Act House - H.R. 873 - Sponsored by
Bobby Scott (D-VA-3) Senate - S. 260 - Sponsored by Bob Casey (D-PA) These
bills would phase out Section 14(c) of the Fair  Labor Standards Act over a
six-year period, at which point the provision would officially be sunset.
Would you want to be paid less than minimum wage to do the same work as your
sighted colleague?  Let's eliminate this antiquated injustice with a call to
our elected officials.

Our local chapters have many activities scheduled over the next few weeks.
I'm looking forward to visiting the Central Valley Chapter meeting on May 11
at  10:00 AM, 1409 H Street, Modesto.  I hope I and our board members will
see you at some of these chapter events very soon.

The Inland Empire Chapter is having a Flapjack Fundraiser at Applebee's,
9241 Monte Vista Ave., Montclair, 91763, cross street is Moreno.  On May
4,Saturday , from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.  The cost is $10 per person, the
deadline to turn in money or to make a reservation is May 1.  The menu
consist of pancakes, eggs, bacon and sausage, coffee and juice.  Everyone is
welcome!  For more information contact  Trena Brown, 1st Vice-President,
Inland Empire Chapter at 323.331.5277 or email at trebrown88 at gmail.com
<mailto:trebrown88 at gmail.com>

Cheryl Thurston, President, Inland Empire Chapter

Board Member, National Federation of the Blind of California

P:  909.829.1466

Email:  cthurston74 at gmail.com <mailto:cthurston74 at gmail.com>

The Pathfinder Chapter would like you to join them for a fundraising event
at the  Shakey's Pizza on Friday, May 3 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at 935 W Arbor
Vitae, Inglewood.  If you have any questions, please contact Charlotte
Carroll at 310.625.6558 charlottec916 at gmail.com
<mailto:charlottec916 at gmail.com>   or Jannette Stewart at 310.293.1053
Titostewart08 at gmail.com <mailto:Titostewart08 at gmail.com>

Rochelle Houston, First Vice-President, National Federation of the Blind of
California

President, Pathfinder Chapter Los Angeles

rhouston58 at gmail.com <mailto:rhouston58 at gmail.com>

C:  323.807.0300

The Bakersfield Chapter is hosting a booth at Culture fest.  There will be
all types of organizations and food venders.  They are making cards in
Braille for everyone with their names  on them, and handing out  brochures
from the National Federation of the Blind.  It is happening  this Saturday,
May 4, from 10:00 a.m. To 3:00 p.m.  The location is Life house Church 3311
Manor Street, Bakersfield, 93308

Veronica Martinez, President, Bakersfield Chapter

Email:   <mailto:Veronica38martinez at gmail.com> Veronica38martinez at gmail.com

P:  661.368.2931

The River City chapter has several fundraisers going on right now.  They are
selling Carl's Jr coupon books, World's Finest Candy Bars and for all you
sports fans an outing to a San Francisco Giants game.  The San Francisco
Giants will be taking on the Los Angeles Dodgers and they would love to have
you join them at Oracle Park!  The money will be collected at the May 11,
chapter meeting for the June 9th, 1:05 p.m. game.  For more information
about the game please contact Tiffany.

Tiffany Manosh, President, River City Chapter

Email:  nfbcrivercity at gmail.com <mailto:nfbcrivercity at gmail.com>

C:  916.202.3486

Join the San Joaquin County Chapter on Saturday, May 18, for their 2nd
annual Spaghetti Dinner & Dance Fundraiser at Fraternal Order of Eagles,
1492 Bourbon St., Stockton, 95204.  Doors open at 4:30 p.m., the event
begins at 5:00 p.m., dinner served at 5:30-7:00 p.m.  The DJ, live music and
dancing will follow until 9:30 p.m.  Door prizes, raffles and auction will
add to the fun!  Tickets are $15; kids 3 & Under are free.  For tickets &
info call Lisa Rodriguez 209.481.6454 or email nfb.ca.sj at gmail.com
<mailto:nfb.ca.sj at gmail.com>

Joga Singh, President, San Joaquin County Chapter

C:  209.203.2106

Email:  nfb.ca.sj at gmail.com <mailto:nfb.ca.sj at gmail.com>

Many thanks to Joy Stigile for compiling this list.  Chapter presidents
should send announcements to Joy Stigile joystigile at gmail.com
<mailto:joystigile at gmail.com>  for inclusion in future monthly updates.

Regards,

Tim Elder