[nfbcs] Duel Booting With Jaws

Kevin Reeves lists at kevinreeves.net
Mon Dec 22 19:52:04 UTC 2008

Hey Marvin. When you're booted into windows on the Mac using bootcamp, You
can select the Mac OS in the bootcamp control panel. When you're in the Mac
environment, you can boot into windows by using the Startup disk control
panel. The other way to do it is to hold down the option key at startup,
which is essentially the windows key, and use right or left arrows to choose
your OS. As far as voiceover, it's great. Essentially a blind person has
full access to the OS, including a full self voicing installer. From someone
who uses both Jaws and OS 10, I can safely say that Voiceover lacks some
robust features that jaws users have had for years, including the ability to
jump to all kinds of different web elements on a page, but the Mac OS
contains things out of the box that windows users would have to pay for,
including full Braille display support, a fully functioning screen reader
and magnification, spell check, an amazing DVD player, a calendar ap, etc.
What the screen reader lacks in robustness, the OS makes up in straight up
out of the box functionality. Think of it this way. A blind individual could
easily apply for and complete their Mac OS X Certifications with no adaptive
software at all. They could then become employable in an office environment,
school system, or government agency that was strictly on the Mac platform,
and be able to run full installs, networking, server maintenance, etc, all
with the aid of voiceover. Again, I'm coming at this from a windows/Mac
user. I use windows for a great deal of stuff, because of the speed at which
Jaws allows me to work. However, the only machines I'll buy anymore are macs
because of the efficiency of the hardware, and the fact that windows runs so
brilliantly on them. I boot into the Mac side for several apps, and find it
to be comfortable as well. Sorry for the stream of consciousness, just
thought I'd throw some thoughts out there. Hope that helps.

Reeves