[nfbcs] JAWS 10: Freedom Scientific press release

Wm. Ritchhart william.ritchhart at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 7 16:18:03 UTC 2008

I have been following this string and I would like to make some
comments.  I started using JAWS after trying Jaws and Window Eyes both
at an NFB convention.  JAWS performed better to me.  Unfortunately,
since Ted Hinter sold the company, the customer focus has disappeared
from the company.  This change has gone so far that I am again
considering evaluating Window Eyes.

Here are some things I notice about JAWS 10.0 that I find troubling.

*  Freedom Scientific did not regression test carefully enough.  Things
that worked fine in earlier versions of JAWS were broken in JAWS 10.0.
For example, the F3 is not spoken when pressed.

*  Key commands that were used for one function are switched to suit
some developer, without respect to the end-users who have been using the
key command for something else for years.  CNTL-PAGE DOWN, in JAWS 10.0.
There have been others in previous releases.

*  Bundling new products on to JAWS and then charging hundreds of
dollars to use them.  If FS wants to charge for new software, (something
I understand and can agree with).  They should not bundle it into JAWS
or MAGIC.  They should market and sell it as a separate stand alone
product.  That is what every other software company I do business with
does.  The Tandem feature looks to be a really nice tool.  But I have no
intention of trying it just to enrich what has become in my mind a
for-profit corporation.  No matter what FS may claim.

THANKS, WILLIAM