[nfbcs] Word to ASCII Translation in Recent Word Versions

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Nov 17 21:33:23 UTC 2008

Peter,

While I think there is more that Microsoft could do, I don't think you are going to see this problem go away all by itself.  The landscape simply is getting more and
more complicated.  My guess is that you are feeling the effects of Microsoft's "smart quotes" and other character replacements.  The "Smart Quote" feature
substitutes opening and closing single and double quotation marks which of course affects the apostrophe.  Sometimes a hyphen can be replaced by another dash
character as well which can be translated into unusual text characters.  This tends to happen when a dash stands alone rather than being imbeded in a word.

The problem is that some of these special characters are honored in a text file if the right "code page" is used, so it is not a given whether all such characters should
be translated into their more basic forms or not.  Generally, you should be able to avoid this problem in documents you create by turning "Smart Quotes" and perhaps
some other options off.  You could also build a series of find and replace commands and place them in a macro that you could execute before saving.  Some text
editors such as NoteTab Pro or the one I use, UltraEdit have a fairly powerful macro capability and good Find and Replace commands that might be used to clean
up files after they have been saved to text.  In days gone by, there used to be software that would perform conversions from one document type to another that
sometimes provided more options.  I don't know if such utilities are still around or not.

Unless the problem you are having is different than what I have described here, I just don't think I'd hold my breath for an answer if I were you for the reasons given,
or assume that another current version is substantially different unless the "save as" dialog has been beefed up in later versions.