[nfbcs] Braille file help.

Dean Martineau dean at topdotenterprises.com
Fri Oct 31 00:17:46 UTC 2008

Everett is right; this can be totally solved with regular expressions.  You
could mostly solve it without them as well.  Let's take your example of John
3:16.  First, we have to know that we're working with contracted Braille,
and how that is represented on the computer.  The 3 will obviously be a c,
and the number sign is the same character.  Fortunately, in contracted
Braille, one never runs into a combination of a c followed by a ble sign,
which of course is also represented by the number sign.  Hence, in any text
editor with a search and replace feature, you could find all occurrences of
c# and replace them with c3 (the 3 is the character used to represent the
contracted Braille colon. That will solve the 3-16 problem.  Similar brute
force could be used to solve all but verses found in chapters 1 5 and 9,
since those characters are represented by vowels and they could be followed
by a ble sign.  For this, and for a more elegant solution, you need regular
expressions.

Dean