[nfbcs] What is optical character recognition?

E.J. Zufelt everett at zufelt.ca
Sun Apr 12 06:26:08 UTC 2009

Good evening,

I actually prefer using Abbyy FineReader which is significantly less
expensive than Openbook or Kurzweil and can create accessible MS Word,
PDF, or a number of other formats.  The OCR engine used in FineReader
is also used in Openbook (I believe) and Kurzweil.

I believe that there is a trial version that will perform OCR on a
limited number of pages on the company's web-site http://finereader.abbyy.com/

HTH,
Everett

Follow me on Twitter