[nfbcs] National Federation of the Blind Responds to Authors Guild Statement on the Amazon Kindle 2

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Fri Feb 13 10:46:22 UTC 2009

there are a print book and an audio version of the same book sitting
on a table in a room full of people.

Doug picks up the audio book, dawns a pair of headphones, and starts
reading.  Bob picks up the print book and reads quietly as well.

"Hey," Doug says, "This is cool:" and he pulls out his headphones and
broadcasts a paragraph, making a few people turn their heads and
listen.

"Wow, that's about like this:" says Bob, and proceeds to read another
paragraph aloud, holding the attention of the same audience.

Bob and Doug agree that they want a lot more people to know about
this book, so without regard to copyright law, they set about copying
part of it.  Bob wanders over to the copy machine in the corner and
starts running off print copies of pages 25-50.  He finishes in
about 10 minutes and wanders back to the table, where Doug is still
waiting for an audio copy to complete.  Having started on page 25
after a couple minutes of fiddling with an inter-device audio cable,
his copy has just reached page 26.  "Twenty-four pages to go," he
observes wistfully, as Bob finishes collecting his things and heads
out the door, copies in hand, in search of a good lunch.

Now somebody tell me how an audio book is anything but even more
difficult to use for a copyright violation. :)