[nfbcs] Fwd: email2phone Service for the Blind and VisuallyImpaired

Kevin Reeves lists at kevinreeves.net
Tue Mar 24 07:48:06 UTC 2009

I totally agree. I think that some blind folks who can't afford a computer
and screen reader, and have no access to state funding to get such things
would be considered "Out of the email loop," but I think that a huge
majority of blinks are indeed wired and in the loop. I know sighted folks
who are not financially able to afford a computer and internet access and
aren't savvy enough to go to a public library and even set up an email
address. So it's not just blindies. It's everyone. We are actually in the
majority on this one. I think the netbook revolution is really leveling the
playing field and making computers as affordable as an average car payment,
so the less fortunate, both blind or sighted, will be able to join in. As
far as the technology is concerned, back in the days of tell me extensions,
they had this email reading service and I thought it was pretty amazing for
it's time. It wasn't really advanced, but you could at least read your
emails away from the computer. In short,  this new service is a cool idea,
but it's not revolutionary, and it's not gonna save the world for access
technology. We have NVDA and voiceover to potentially thank for that. Just
my thoughts.

Reeves

http://www.kevinreeves.net