[nfbcs] Creating a desktop shortcut

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun Nov 15 14:44:19 UTC 2009

Thanks Steve!  I did what you said, using Copy, and it worked!  Laura was
right about having nothing selected on the desktop when I did the paste,
which was a little harder than I would have thought, but I got it done,
and I've written it down for future reference.
Thanks to everyone for the help.

Are these things written down somewhere?  Can I learn how to do such
things without pestering everyone?  Or is it a word-of-mouth, experience
kind of thing?
Tracy

> If you copied something from c:\program files, they are actual programs or
> folders containing folders and not shortcuts.
> You don't want to copy those to other locations, and I would delete any
> folders you copied in that way being careful not
> to delete the originals, of course.  If you see the entries under Programs
> or All programs, they almost have to be there
> although I suppose they could be hidden in some cases.  Remember that if
> you explore, you have to check programs in
> Start menu in All users as well as in the user you are in.  I just tried
> copying Outlook Express's shortcut using the start
> menu and the applications key to copy and then pasting it to the desktop
> and it worked here.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Steve Jacobson
>
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:56:19 -0500 (EST), Tracy Carcione wrote:
>
>>Well, it worked for Windows Media Player, but not for Outlook Express.
>>Neither one was under Programs; they were under Program Files.  For OE,
>>when I selected it and pasted it, it just pasted a folder, not a
>> shortcut.
>>I have to talk to a tech trainer this weekend on another subject, so I'll
>>try asking her.
>>I can ask the guys in the office too, but they just grab the mouse and
>>start zooming it around.  But maybe they can explain what they're doing
>>with the mouse, and I can duplicate it.
>>Thanks anyhow.
>>Tracy
>
>>> Ok, here's how to do it --
>>> The way I showed you before succeeds in creating a new shortcut, but it
>>> is
>>> put on the "all programs" submenu of the start menu.  It does not put
>>> the
>>> shortcut on the desktop.
>>> If you want the latter, do the following:
>>> 1. bring up the start menu and hit escape to get focus on the start
>>> button.
>>> 2. hit the applications key for the context menu and select "explore".
>>> 3. go into "programs" and look at the files in that folder.  "Outlook
>>> Express" should be one of them.  Highlight it and copy it with
>>> control+c.
>>> 4. close that window and go to the desktop.  Be sure you are not