[nfbcs] new open source Braille translation software for the blind

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Sun Oct 11 15:00:52 UTC 2009

Robert,
The translator will be written either in portable C/C++ or Python.
Python has the advantage of being extremely fast to develop in, not to
mention being very portable. The translator would be much easier to code
using Python constructs which is not an insignifficant consideration.
The disadvantages would be the speed since it's an interpreted language,
the fact it depends on a Python interpreter to be installed, and the
fact that if I write it in Python I can't code the engine in the form of
an API which other programs can use. I can see reasons to do it using
either solution, and reasons not to do so. I'll make the final dicision
once I've decided whether or not to attempt the project and once I've
recruited a couple developers to help me.
- - --
Those of you who think they know everything are very annoying to those
of us who actually do.
Joseph C. Lininger, <jbahm at pcdesk.net>