[nfbcs] Anyone had success with SimNet based courses

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Sep 4 12:36:35 UTC 2009

I had no success at all trying to use an online system to learn Excel,
because, as Doug says, it displayed the screen people would see, but Jaws
didn't see anything there.  I then was supposed to answer questions about
the screen I couldn't see.  I gave up at that point, and found a tutorial
written for blind people on using Excel.

I have not had any good experiences with online training, though
admittedly I haven't done it much.  There always seem to be critical
elements that don't work with speech, like the Excel screens that are just
images, or flash movies with inaccessible controls.  I wish there was
something we could do about this.  I've been trying to get online mandated
training at my workplace to be made accessible for at least 3 years, and
nothing has changed.  HR usually just sends a reader over, eventually.
They can make it sing and dance and talk Spanish, but they can't
 make it accessible?
Tracy