[nfbcs] Itunes or Winamp: which is bes to teach AT students interested in buying an Ipod

Gatton, Tonia (OFB-LV) Tonia.Gatton at ky.gov
Mon Sep 28 19:09:08 UTC 2009

Hi! I am a long time user of AT products and a fairly new AT Instructor.
I have a few students interested in getting one of the new Ipod's.  As I
understand the new Nano and Touch require the use of Itunes 9; but 9
isn't very accessible.  Given that information, I've suggested that my
students either hold off on purchasing one of the newer players or they
consider buying the 4th generation Nano instead.  I'd be interested in
hearing your thoughts on this and whether or not you have found Itunes 9
to be more accessible than initially thought.
Secondly, as my students are new to Jaws and media players and devices;
do you think interface of Itunes or Winamp would be easier for them to
learn.  Also, are there any Jaws scripts or tutorials for either program
that would allow them to navigate more effectively through the various
menus and options.  I think they're mainly wanting to rip CD's, and load
music on to their Ipod.

I personally do not have an Ipod and generally rip cD's using Real
Player and then copy and paste music to my MP3 player from the "My
Music" folder.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Tonia