[nfbcs] Desktop Texting Applications

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Tue Aug 10 05:22:41 UTC 2010

SMS can be sent from Skype, but since not all carriers accept SMS
messages from senders that can't be used as message destinations, not
all SMS messages sent from Skype can reach their destinations.  This
can be fixed by setting up and validating a return SMS number in
Skype, but of course that means you have to have one that can be sent
back to.  In effect, this makes Skype an alternative way to send
messages as if they came from your cell phone or whatever "real"
SMS-capable device you have, but it does not make Skype a complete
alternative to having such a device.