[nfbcs] Videos and buffering.

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Wed Dec 22 14:45:11 UTC 2010

I haven't followed this thread carefully, but I think the original
poster is on cable.  Cable usually uses DHCP and not PPP over Ethernet
(PPPoE).  This is good because PPPoE tends to add some overhead to
every data packet, which means that it ends up being slower.  PPPoE is
commonly used for DSL but not cable.

All this to say, if you are indeed on cable, I would think the
advertised speed and the actual speed should be close to each other at
least sometimes, specifically, when no one else in your area is
hauling in or pushing out a lot of data.  Your mileage may vary of
course.