[nfbcs] Videos and buffering.

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Dec 22 15:20:31 UTC 2010

Gabe,

I am going to do my best to avoid the personal attack in your note below and try to use this list to present real information.  I don't see a description of how
the speed tests are done as you imply in your note.  As I mentioned in another note, I am getting extremely low measurements that are not valid for me.
Much of the text that I have found on this site refers to 3G and 4G sites, and I do not see anything that indicates whether there is a diverse set of
destinations for this test.  While the technical details may not be important to the average consumer, I am speculating that there is a bad path between my
connection and the other end that is causing me to get a consistently low rate.  If you happen to be on a good path, your results may be very accurate.  At
least some other speed test sites try to minimize the distance between the two ends of the test to try to measure the speed of your connection rather than
having the speed limited by a poor path.  My reaction to this site is that its results are not reliable unless you already know that you have a good path to it,
which most of us would not know without comparing.  If Alan got results similar to mine, it would cause him to draw a possibly incorrect conclusion about his
connection speed.

Do you have information that might explain what I am seeing?  I'd be interested to understand this site better, though, and if you are saying there is
information I am missing I'd be glad to take a look.  The interface is very nice and easy to use, so it would be nice to be able to recommend this site.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson