[nfbcs] Braille math question

Mike Jolls majolls at cox.net
Fri Jul 30 03:32:03 UTC 2010

I'm new to this forum, so I wanted to write a short introduction..

My name is Mike Jolls and I'm a legally blind computer software guy who
works for the Union Pacific Railroad.  I've been doing programming for quite
a few years.  I started way back in 1978 programming in Assembler and COBOL
.. then moved into JCL and COBOL, then into C/C++, into Visual Basic, and
now I'm learning about Java and Web Development.  That's a LOT of
programming.

I've been legally blind my whole life, and a few years back I developed (due
to my underlying disability) cataracts . which severely limited my vision.
At that point I started using a white cane and learned Braille.  I've since
had my cataracts removed and my vision was restored back to what it was when
I was 25 (severely nearsighted) Actually the doctors say I'm lucky to see at
all since my retinas are 95% damaged.  I had my cataracts for about 5 years
and in that time, I pretty much integrated Braille into my life and continue
to use it.  It's something I've been very interested in, along with how
Braille can be used to help Blind people go as far as they can.   Anyway,
you get the gist.  I'm a legally blind programmer.

One thing I'm interested in besides computers is math.  I'm particularly
interested in Nemeth code . and learning how blind people solve math
equations .. and how they graph equations . if that's taught.  I'm also
interested in what computer applications might be developed to help the
blind person understand math more . assuming they have problems with the
graphical aspect.  Could an app be integrated with some sort of tactile
tablet to help blind people feel the graph of equations and help them go
further in math?

I also understand that blind students often get their books late.  It might
be interesting pursuing work as a Braille transcriptionist, learning how
that is done, and perhaps writing software to speed up the transcribing
process so blind students could get their books transcribed on time.

It's certainly not fair when a Blind student doesn't have his textbook for 6
weeks.

I'm also interested among other things in how I can use my skills to develop
some adaptive software, but what software would be useful?  Accessibility
apps to help browse the web?  (for starters).  I don't know.. but being a
computer software guy, I'd like to develop SOMETHING that would help blind
and visually impaired people, or collaborate with someone on this list.

If any of this interests any of you, write back.