[nfbcs] Looking into taking Microsoft Access

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 18 14:56:04 UTC 2010

Web-based applications are all the rage these days.  If you can sell that to
your employer, you might have an easier time of it. It makes the front-end
system independent. You don't have to have Microsoft Office or any other
particular program on your computer. You don't even have to be running
Windows. All you need is a web browser. So if you can convince your employer
to go that way, you'd be much better off. The only problem would be that its
not exactly a no-brainer to learn web programming either. I take it from
your comments below that your company has a web server. Otherwise, that
oracle tool wouldn't help you much. If you're not already running a web
server, then it probably isn't a good idea to try to switch to web forms.

If you can't do web based forms, I would highly recommend you take Steve's
suggestion and get on the blind pprogrammer's list. I haven't been on that
list for years because they talked almost entirely about Visual Basic
programming and I don't do that. But they sure seemed knowledgable.