[nfbcs] Mobile Accessibility is Now Available for Purchase

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Apr 1 15:52:43 UTC 2011

Jim,

You are right that These platforms are dead-ends, but my experience has been that phones under the old versions of operating systems tend to be available
for some time.  When I look at Sprint, for example, they are still advertising Windows 7 Mobile as something new and unique.  If one is on a carrier like
Sprint, Windows Mobile 6 is likely going to be an option for a while yet unless you have seen something different.  If I were offered a choice between
Windows Mobile 6 and Android, I think I'd still go with Windows Mobile 6 because the accessibility of Android is still so new, unless an Android phone had
something I particularly wanted and I knew it was accessible.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 08:00:37 -0700, Jim Barbour wrote:

>Hey Steve,

>Both Symbian and Windows Mobile 6 will be migrating to Windows
>Mobile 7, which currently doesn't have an accessibility roadmap.

>Jim

>On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 08:17:33AM -0500, Steve Jacobson wrote:
>> Jim,
>>
>> I am curious, why are you just comparing Apple and Android, because they are newer?  When looking at a possible purchase, one would still have to
>> consider Windows Mobil 6 and Simbian, or is it Symbian.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Steve Jacobson
>>
>> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 21:52:49 -0700, Jim Barbour wrote:
>>
>> >I've been thinking about doing a podcast, article, or something
>> >talking about the Apple Vs. Google accessibility choice.
>>
>> >What it comes down to is that one should get the iPhone unless one
>> >is really unhappy with Apple or unhappy with the price of the iPhone.
>> >Further, as of now, there's a high price to pay in user experience,
>> >user comfort, and available apps if one goes the android route.
>>
>> >To be fair, the code factory stuff is new, looks pretty good
>> >considering what they had (or didn't have) to work with, and might
>> >grow into something more user friendly.  this will require that either
>> >Google improve their accessibility API, or that app developers start
>> >developing against Code Factory's accessibility API.
>>
>> >Let's watch and see what happens,
>>
>> >Jim

IPhone
>> can be set up without sighted assistance and comes free with the IPhone.

>> and simple way, is now on sale.  Mobile Accessibility is the first accessible Android application that permits intuitive touchscreen navigation of Android
>> phones, featuring text readback via natural sounding voices powered by Nuanceâ¬"s Vocalizer® text-to-speech technology.

>> https://market.android.com/details?id=es.codefactory.android.app.ma.vocalizerenu&feature=search_result
>> https://market.android.com/details?id=es.codefactory.android.app.ma.vocalizereng&feature=search_result

>> http://www.codefactory.es/en/products.asp?id=415#getit

id=es.codefactory.android.app.ma.vocalizerenudemo&feature=search_result>
>> https://market.android.com/details?id=es.codefactory.android.app.ma.vocalizerenudemo&feature=search_result
id=es.codefactory.android.app.ma.vocalizerengdemo&feature=search_result>