[nfbcs] Audio captcha survey

Patrick B peanut440 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 4 21:58:13 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I am conducting research on the presence of audio captchas on various web sites around the Internet. I am asking that you complete this simple, short survey. You are not required to provide your name. Should your name appear as a result of you sending a completed survey via e-mail it will not be used or recorded in any way. Please send completed surveys privately to peanut440 at hotmail.com, there's no need to send your answers to the entire NFBCS list. Thank you in advance for your participation.

Please indicate the answer that best describes you for each question below. Please type "N/A" if a question cannot be answered. For example, if you answer "completely inaccurate" to question 7, it is likely you have no experiences to report on for question 8. This is ok, and part of the research.

1. I am blind, and require the use of a screen reader or other access technology to use a computer. (Yes/no)

2. I am registered for many web sites or online services and commonly visit and register for new ones.
A. Very accurate
B. accurate
C. Somewhat accurate
D. Rarely accurate
E. Completely inaccurate

3. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being none of them and 10 being all of them, approximately how many of the web sites you have dealt with require new members to solve a captcha for verification?

4. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being none of them and 10 being all of them, approximately how many of these web sites which required verification do not provide an audio alternative for low vision users?

5. I have encountered large or important web sites (financial services, large social networks, popular e-mail web sites, web sites of other large companies) which did not offer an audio captcha. (Yes/no, if yes, please list.)

6. When confronted with a web site that requires one to solve a captcha and does not provide an audio solution, I frequently contact the web site administrator with my concerns.
A. Very accurate
B. accurate
C. Somewhat accurate
D. Rarely accurate
E. Completely inaccurate

7. Many of the web site administrators I contacted regarding inaccessible captchas responded to my inquiry.
A. Very accurate
B. accurate
C. Somewhat accurate
D. Rarely accurate
E. Completely inaccurate

8. Many web site administrators who responded to my inquiry were willing to add an audio challenge to their captchas.
A. Very accurate
B. accurate
C. Somewhat accurate
D. Rarely accurate
E. Completely inaccurate

9. The web site administrators who agreed to implement audio captchas usually did end up implementing them.
A. Yes, and very quickly.
B. Yes, although it took some time.
C. Yes, although I had to pester them about it at least one additional time.
D. No, most of them did not.

10. I know how to set up audio captchas myself, and would be willing to assist or explain to web developers who do not know how.
A. Very accurate
B. accurate
C. Somewhat accurate
D. Rarely accurate