[nfbcs] Fwd: PowerShell and Word-wrap

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Thu Apr 28 19:31:52 UTC 2011

I think that it was on this listserv that someone said you could work with PowerShell either at the command prompt or in a GUI.  This might be a place for using the GUI, but I have a couple of alternatives, even though I haven't used this environment, based on my experience with Window-Eyes at the command prompt.

One possibility is to redirect your output into a file and read that file with Notepad or something that doesn't have the same line length limitations.  Also, you may not realize that the More program that comes with cmd.exe has several more options than it used to have.

Window-Eyes doesn' work correctly with command prompts that are maximized; it wants the prompt box to be in a "normal" window, instead.  But you may be able to go into the settings for the command prompt and adjust the number of rows and/or columns from the default 25/80.  I think that within limits you can do this and a screen reader will be able to read your screen at the command prompt with no problems.

Microsoft wrote a whole AP*I by which screen readers could access the command prompt in Windows, but I suspect that the screen readers ignored some of it due to lack of interest.

Hope this helps.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.