[nfbcs] Kurzweil and Other Input

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Aug 5 14:06:35 UTC 2011

This isn't easy to answer because what comes with a scanner varies so much and some are more accessible.  What is meant by Scanning into Kurzweil?  If
one's scanner has a button on the front and one presses that button and it brings up Kurzweil, that can certainly be changed so that it doesn't do that.  One
could still start Kurzweil first and then use Kurzweil's keys to start a scan.  Whether the scanners button starts Kurzweil or not, though, the software that
came with the scanner very likely has a "copier" function somewhere.  While it probably is intended to be run by pressing a button on your scanner, it can
usually also be run as a program and you can set options and press a copy button.  Some scanners have more than one button on the front and one can
program one button to start a copier function and another to start Kurzweil.  One would have to find where to do that, though.  It is usually in the software
that came with the scanner.  I have used a very old HP scanner and a newer Cannon scanner and both have copy utilities.

Having Kurzweil process a page and then save it with images and finally printing it might do pretty well but it really isn't a photo copy and some aspects
could have changed.  Kurzweil generally captures the image in a file, and printing that might work.  A photo copy utility usually has some options such as
allowing one to darken or lighten a copy and it may allow you to specify some characteristics of the input.  If you have a black-and-white printer, for
example, specifying whether you want the input document scanned as a color document, black-and-whit or gray scale may affect the quality of the output.
Again, one can't say which will work the best because it can depend upon the printer to some degree.  If wan finds the photo copy utility, it is worth
experimenting when one can have someone look at the output or use an Optacon on it to see which settings work best.  I am not an advanced Kurzweil
user, and it is possible there is something offered that would do copying as well.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson