[nfbcs] Eclipse looking for red

Mike Jolls majolls at cox.net
Sat Aug 6 23:32:52 UTC 2011

If you have to use the keystroke method, you'll have to do that on every
line of code to see which of the program lines are in error.  That would
take too long if you had a very large source file.

Instead, here's how I'd approach it if I was going to use a screen reader
and couldn't use the mouse to directly click on the "Problems" tab...

After compiling, you can get to the "Problems" list by doing the following:

1. Alt-W  - activates the Windows menu
2. Press "V" to select the "Show Views" sub-menu
3. Arrow down to "Problems" ... there isn't a hotkey for this so you just
have to listen to all the menu items until you get to "Problems"
Hit the enter key on "Problems".  This takes you to the Problems window.
4. Errors and Warnings are both written to this window.  Errors are listed
at the top (if there are any) followed by Warnings.  There is a "plus-sign"
header that appears before each set of errors or warnings.  The order of
these is:
Error Header
Error lines
Warnings Header
Warning lines
5. If you don't have any errors, there is no Error header and the first line
should be read as "Warnings" by your screen reader
6. When you're at the top of the window and there are errors, you can read
the line and the screen reader should say "Errors".
7. If you have errors, then press Enter on the Error Header line, then press
down arrow.  If you hear "Warnings", then you just closed the Errors list.
If you do that, go back to the Errors header and press Enter to open the
errors list.
8. With the Errors list open and your cursor on the first line in error
(these are the lines "in red" in Eclipse) you can press Enter and Eclipse
will take you to the line of code that is in error.
9. Fix the line of code, then save your file, then re-build the project.  Or
you can fix the line, then repeat the steps above to get back to the Errors
listing, but you'll have to remember which lines in the error listing you've
already fixed and skip past them since you haven't recompiled the
application and gotten a fresh set of error lines or warnings.

See if that helps.  It's not a perfect solution, but it's the only way I can
see to be able to get to the Errors if you can't just click on the
"Problems" tab.