[nfbcs] half price hard drives

Bryan Schulz b.schulz at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 4 21:46:15 UTC 2011

hi,

This is not an attempt to brag how i saved $200 but an example of research combined with creative thinking.

Similar to myself, you probably didn't realize how flooding in Thailand could cause hard drive prices to sky rocket 100-150% until you need to buy a new drive.
A year ago, a 2 terabyte drive could be found for $80 and after the disaster left four feet of salt water in the western digital and other companies plants, the price is a minimum of $200 for the same drive.

I received two western digital my book essential external drives yesterday.
I didn't mind ordering from an online site that mostly sells refirb and open box items because i read what i could on the net and figured out that inside the plastic case is a regular sata-2 hard drive just connected to a small circuit board and i planned on cracking the shell loose as i listened to people do the same on you tube.

I didn't care if the status said open box because all the customer reviews said the unit runs very hot in the plastic case and i plan to use the drives in the metal Patriot Valkyrie network storage box.

It was easy to crack, just like people described on you tube but not in blind friendly terms.
i scuffed the edges of the plastic case when you have to jam a flat screwdriver into the crack and twist to pop the clips loose.  Then you slide the plastic u-shaped cover off that makes it look like a hard back book sitting on a bookshelf and the drive is free after being pushed from the plastic rectangle frame.
The drive is completely free after six screws are removed and the frame with the circuit board is slid from the regular sata drive connectors.

The gamble paid off as i now have the two bare western digital 2 terabyte drives that will be slid into the Patriot Valkyrie network attached storage unit which allows data duplication, multi system file sharing and ftp access so i won't have to go to a cloud and wait for news reports of someone's cloud based files being hacked.

Happy modifying and maybe you can save 50% on a drive you need.

Bryan Schulz
BEST Solution
www.best-acts.com